To see pictures of my adventures in Malawi click here for part I, and here for my trip to the lake.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Oct 17, 2010 (Sun) – 9:48pm (GMT +2) - Moving, New People and ICU

Last Friday Anthony and I moved to the guest house so that Elisa's brother's family can move into the house we were in when they get here this Wednesday. Dr. Fam flew out early this morning for a vacation in Malaysia before going to work in Nigeria. This last week a new girl came who is a physical therapist from Brazil. Now there are four of us living in the guest house, the new girl (Diane – pronounced kind of like “journey”), Anthony, Hannah and I. I made bread by myself for the first time tonight and it looks like it came out well, we'll see how it tastes tomorrow. The squid proxy is up and running as of today so now I get to have lots of people complaining to me about what they can't do on the internet. The next thing I need to work on is configuring squid so that I can route https connections through it. I found a tutorial online that looks promising, I just need to go through it and see if it actually pans out. We were going to watch Moonraker tonight but Hannah got back from the hospital quite late and we all have early mornings tomorrow. Yesterday we walked out to the dam after potluck and I discovered that the water system control building is quite good for climbing on.

Last Wednesday I went into BAH with Wes, Alex and Pelica where we spent a long day working on the new ICU. It turns out that we are going to have to completely redo the wiring since the “electricians” that were hired to do it did a completely crap job. It wasn't even just incompetence, he also stole wire or else it just magically disappeared all on its own. There were several places where 6 or 8 wires would be coming down on both ends like they were supposed to but if you went up into the attic all the wires were attached to a single wire that was run across the length of the attic then attached to more wires to go back down. I'm not sure how they thought they would ever get away with it, it's not like we wouldn't notice when things didn't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment