To see pictures of my adventures in Malawi click here for part I, and here for my trip to the lake.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Jan 14, 2011 (Fri) – 11:25pm (GMT +2)

It has been a good day. I got up at 7:30 and went for a short walk on the beach. When I got back Diane was up and we took a longer walk on the beach in the other direction. There were lots of little naked kids bathing in the lake while their mothers were washing clothes or dishes. And of course there were the inevitable vendors telling us how “good” of a price they would give us for this or that nick knack.

Once we had eaten a breakfast of toast and omelets we hired a boat to take us out to nearby Thumbi island where there was good snorkeling.



The water was a lot cleaner out there than it had been on shore and there were hundreds of brightly colored fish swimming around us. We snorkeled for awhile and got lots of pictures with my camera which was safely contained its water proof case.





Around 2:00 the guys who had brought us out to the island called us for lunch which they had been preparing over a fire on the rocks. Lunch consisted of rice, tomato sauce and freshly caught and cooked fish. The fish were quite good and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to separate the meat from the bones. It was the first time I have ever eaten fish cooked in that manner. Things always seem to taste better when they have been cooked over an outdoor fire. Jacquie is unfortunately vegetarian and does not like tomatoes so her lunch consisted of rice and salt.



Once we had finished we headed back into the water for awhile until it was time to go out on the boat and feed the fish eagles. Sadly I only had my point and shoot camera with me and so was not able to get as good of pictures as I could have with an SLR. After we ran out of fish to throw to the eagles we made our way back to the mainland.



Back at Gecko I found a 7 foot tall wooden carving of a mask surrounded by various carvings of animals and African scenes. I immediately fell in love with it and decided that someday I need to have it in my room with a vine growing through it. Someday when I have a ridiculous amount of money to spend on the carving and on shipping it.

No comments:

Post a Comment