To see pictures of my adventures in Malawi click here for part I, and here for my trip to the lake.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Aug, 26 2010 (Thu) – 10:40pm (GMT +2)

Last night I slept for about 12 hours and got up shortly after 11 in the morning after which I felt a good deal better. I got ready for the day and was just going out the inner door when Chrislyn knocked on the outer door to say that it was time for lunch (she had invited me over the night before) so I went and ate with them. Their kids, Keiza and Andrew, were as hyper as ever and Chrislyn has started referring to me as “Uncle Chris” when she talks to them. After lunch Wes and I went down to the hospital and started catching me up on all the various projects that need worked on. It is going to take awhile to get completely up to speed. We spent a few hours thus occupied and then proceeded on a short tour of the campus on the way to drop some item off at someone's house. From there we went to take a look at the various aspects of the water system. The water tank was a bit low so we drove a mile over extremely bad roads – thank goodness we were in a land cruiser – to where there are 4 wells by a reservoir which supply the hospital with water. He showed me the generator/control room which is inside a solid concrete shed due to security concerns. He tries to keep as few of the pumps running as possible to reduce the energy cost so there were only three of the four running. The smallest one was shut off in favor of the second smallest one which had been turned off, so the added capacity should refill the storage tank. By this time the sun was getting low and we headed back to the house where I stayed and talked and played with the kids for most of the evening, partway through we had a snack of macadamia nuts and apples. Wes told me that I could probably sell my computers and iTouch when I leave for quite a bit of money, a lot more then I would be able to get for them in the States so I may just do that, it would probably give me enough money to buy all new better equipment when I return.

Eventually Anthony came over and stayed for a little while before going out to return a water bottle to one of the doctors who had forgotten it somewhere. Shortly thereafter - once I had played a game of Uno with the kids – I returned to my house, had some toast for a snack and explored the house a bit more. Tomorrow Elisa is supposed to be returning from her meetings in Blantyre and I will probably be going into town to buy some things at the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment