To see pictures of my adventures in Malawi click here for part I, and here for my trip to the lake.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Aug 27, 2010 (Fri) – 2:45pm (GMT +2)

This morning I got up at 8 o'clock and Anthony showed me the Wheat Bix he uses for cereal. It wasn't bad with sliced bananas and jam mixed in. Once we had finished eating (while listening to NPR and discussing various things from New Orleans' flooding problem to people beating their kids) we joined Chrislyn, Wes and the kids to go to the market in Makwasa. It being a Friday, everyone had come to town to buy and/or sell various goods off all descriptions. I bought a cold drink which was fruity with a touch of coconut and got a few hundred units for my phone. Afterwords I walked through the market and bought tomatoes, potatoes, onions and eggs from various venders. They have a thing where after you decide how much of something you want they will throw in an extra for free. For example I bought two piles of potatoes and they added another part of a pile for a bonus. On the walk back Anthony and I joined a crowd of people gathered around a witch doctor who was “making money” by chewing on a piece of paper then making a 50 Kwatcha bill appear, it wasn't bad slight of hand but that's all. Once we got back to our house I decided to try my hand at a stew and made a quite passable meal. I was going to put some TVP in it but then I realized it is all in Johannesburg with the rest of my luggage but we did have some “soy pieces” which are similar so I put those in. Once I was done I made myself a bowl and went over to the Lutz's house.
8:00pm
The kids were going down for a nap and after eating I laid on the couch to type but shortly followed suit and slept for about 2 hours. After I woke up I called Anthony and met him down at the hospital to get on the internet. I finally had time to upload some pictures and I got Skype installed on my netbook which took 5 tries to download but it finally worked and I was able to talk to people at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment