To see pictures of my adventures in Malawi click here for part I, and here for my trip to the lake.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

August 30, 2010 (Mon) – 10:31pm (GMT +2)

Saturday Elisa, Eldi, Cheri (sp?), Deborah and I went to a game park about two hours from the hospital. We saw Zebras, Giraffes, Nyala (these striped deer looking things), Wildebeests, a Warthog, monkeys, birds and a huge ant trail. It was a long day and by the time we got back to the hospital we were all rather drained.

Yesterday Wes and I spent some time at the hospital taking a look at various networking things as well as updating a computer that we will be using as the IT laptop. We also walked around campus and to see where would be the best places for routers and things to make wireless available to as many people as possible. In the evening I started cleaning things out of the fridge and trying to get the kitchen a bit more organized and ended up spending about two and a half hours cleaning. It does look a bit better now but the whole kitchen needs a good deep cleaning. By the time I got to bed it was almost midnight.

Today we filled the Land Cruiser with people and headed into Blantyre at 7:30 in the morning. Wes, Chrislyn and the kids, Elisa, Eldi, Deborah and I managed to fill every seat it had to offer. There were a seeming endless supply of errands that needed to be run around town including, much to my joy, picking up my luggage at the airport. When I had called they said only one bag was in but as luck would have it both bags were in fact waiting there. Now that I've been living off of my carry-on for the last 5 days it feels like I suddenly have an absolutely gratuitous amount of stuff. Having more clothes is a definite plus, especially since this morning I spent a good 40 minutes ironing my cloths to finish drying them. I bought several items while in Blantyre such as a glass bowl to use in the microwave, a knife set, a high/low voltage protector, laundry detergent, wax paper, ketchup, steel wool, some spices and a few other things. On the way back to Malamulo we stopped in what is apparently the best market for fresh produce and I bought a bunch of tomatoes for making salsa with this week. I ate supper with the Lutzes then went back to my house where I ended up helping Anthony with his computer for over an hour until we finally gave up for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment